Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Finding 'Heaven' in the 'Garden'


I particularly enjoyed the vision behind the current gallery exhibition, "Parable of the Garden", in TCNJ's art gallery. For some reason, the ideal of "finding heaven" and exemplifying that search through art struck a chord with me. More than anything, the work consisting of a patch of grass and three looping videos, "Paradise" by Djoumaliev and Kasmalieva, intrigued me. For some reason, when I personally envision heaven, thick soft grass is usually part of that vision, and oddly enough, I really wanted to sit down or lay in the grass in the exhibit. Also, one of the three videos really struck me as well--the man reaching for the sky, and failing each time, obviously. It reminded me of a quote from one of my favorite novel series: "those who challenge the sun get too close, and they burn". It almost denotes that heaven is attainable, but not during our own lifetimes. Overall, I'd say this was a very effective piece, and while somewhat unconventional, was a piece of conceptual art I could really appreciate.

No comments: